While the threat of Omicron is plaguing retailers and making them wonder what will come next, consumers are excited to kickstart their spring and summer shopping. According to a study on “The State of Retail Consumption 2022,” over half of customers across the globe say they are confident in visiting retail stores.
Even though the pandemic has accelerated the growth of online shopping, a substantial portion of consumers want to get away from their screens and enjoy the in-store experience. The same study reports that 54 percent of shoppers said they are keen to shop in-store as much, if not more, as they did pre-COVID. As indie retailers get ready to welcome this surge in shopping, especially once the warmer weather hits, it is still increasingly important to keep your brick-and-mortar storefront as safe as possible. Continue to recommend the use of face masks, frequently sanitize highly touched surfaces, and make sure everyone in the store can keep a safe distance from one another.
Spring & Summer Beauty Products
When deciding what to stock your store with for the upcoming seasons, the latest research by cosmetics surgery experts, Tajmeeli, reveals which beauty products were the most in-demand for consumers in 2021. Using Google search data, Tajmeeli shows the 160 most searched beauty merchandise from almost 30 merchants, and also identified that items with ‘Breakout’ search interest have had a tremendous increase from the years prior, probably because these queries are new and had few (if any) prior searches.
Out of all of the most searched beauty products, lipstick was found to be one of the top choices for consumers. Other popular merchandise included lip liners, face masks, perfume, BB cream, and foundation, among others. Use this data to help figure out what to stock your beauty section with this summer.
Top Product Searches Over Black Friday & Cyber Monday 2021
Search, merchandising, and personalization solution provider Searchspring analyzed data across its customer base during the five days of Black Friday / Cyber Monday weekend, during which it observed one-third of its usual monthly traffic. Insights from the top search categories over this weekend include:
- Clothing was the big winner in 2021, with search volume up 288 percent over 2020
- Shoe-specific searches were up 200 percent from last year
- Housewares took a hit, with search volume down 16 percent from 2020
- Ecommerce searches in the entertainment category were down 21 percent
- The pet category saw a huge increase as well, with pet-related ecommerce searches up 64 percent
‘Fit check.’ Here are some nuances of 2021 searches related to apparel:
- Consumers are going out again — to the office and to restaurants — which means they need new outfits. Overall, searches for clothing were up in 2021. So much so, that the top two search terms in 2021 were not even on the list in 2020.
- Pants are also a huge hit. Searches were up 243 percent for ‘pants.’
- Another indication that customers are putting their sweatpants away is that while dresses were not in the top 10 searches for Searchspring retailers in 2020, it was the number two category in 2021. Also, shoppers are looking for apparel items such as bodysuits, jumpsuits, and sweater dresses. These categories saw searches increasing anywhere between 243 percent and 573 percent over 2020 search volume.
Below are findings related to ecommerce searches for home decor and housewares, as well as entertainment trends observed through shoppers’ activity during the Cyber 5 weekend:
- ‘Minimalist’ was the number-three top search term in the housewares and home decor category during the Black Friday/Cyber Monday weekend. This was yet another search that was not apparent in the 2020 analysis of search behavior.
- Shoppers were also in pursuit of ‘rugs’ last year, ranking just below ‘minimalist’ as a common search term. In comparison, it was not a highly sought-after item in the analysis of 2020’s Black Friday/Cyber Monday searches.
Top 12 Spring Products
In preparation for the Spring 2022 fashion season, retail market intelligence platform EDITED harnessed its data on over four billion SKUs to release the top 12 spring products retailers should have in their assortments to maximize ROI and optimize decision-making:
- Bralettes – Retailers heavily invested in this style year-over-year, with arrivals up 37 percent and 169 percent in the US and UK, respectively
- Mini shift dresses – For Spring 2022, focus on the shift shape. Puff sleeves, mock necks, lace, and padded shoulders surfaced as popular descriptors in SS21 ranges
- Micro mini skirts – Express and Jigsaw elevated the exit price in the US and UK for micro-length skirts, charging a premium for suede and a printed, pleated design
- Bomber jackets – Interest in this jacket increased across SS21 in the US and UK markets, with arrivals growing 53 percent and 82 percent year-over-year, respectively
- Low rise bottoms – As Y2K continues to influence assortments, low-rise pants have resurfaced. Express favored this silhouette for trousers and Bershka opted for denim
- Catsuits – Although US retailers marked down prices for catsuits by — 43 percent year-over-year, celebrities are bringing them to the fore, and consumer demand is expected to pick up
- Sports-inspired footwear – Sporty styles emerged as a top-performing trend, including Teva’s cult designs and chunky velcro options
- Loafers – The trendiness of loafers has been buoyed by the influence of cult brands like Prada. Details like chunky soles and chain embellishment have grown since SS19
- Strappy heels – Strappy styles saw sell-outs accelerate at the end of SS21 as consumer demand picked up
- Bright bags – Spring 2021 saw statement colors infiltrate the market, with green (19%) and pink (15%) arrivals increasing for the high season
- Headscarves – Ensure headscarves are merchandised within retro edits. Stalwart paisley and florals were the top-stocked patterns for SS21
- Chunky chains – With necklaces commanding 74 percent of the chunky chain jewelry category mix for SS21, bracelets are poised for growth next season
Connecting with Consumers During the Spring & Summer Months
“Among the opportunities I think merchants can benefit from will be to strengthen their social media selling through engaging, interactive video experiences,” Nicole Leinbach Reyhle, Founder of Retail Minded, said. “Customers want to be entertained when they shop, even when they cannot be in physical stores, and in 2022 I believe more consumers will turn to social media purchasing as they become more confident and comfortable with this relatively new way to make transactions. Across the generations, brands can connect to customers and complete transactions directly from social media, which is where many customers spend the majority of their time online.”
There is still plenty of time to make 2022 a great year for your business. Here are some trending spring and summer merchandise to offer your customers and keep them coming back for more:
This summery print will get your customers excited for the warmer months. Not only are these pants super cozy, but they are also light and breezy for those warm days. Each pant comes with a drawstring pocket pouch for easy travel.
This silky body balm combines the lasting hydration of a lotion with the anti-aging benefits of a serum. Alaria seaweed and coconut oil improve the appearance of skin elasticity and suppleness. The super nourishing formula softens skin with omega fatty acids, sea minerals and antioxidants to give your customers the ultimate glowy skin for the spring and summer months.
Plant-based snacks were all the rage in 2021, and they are still expected to be popular in the new year. These plant-based snacks offer high protein content with no weird aftertaste or filmy residue. HA! is the first of its kind snack to deliver the taste of traditional, empty calorie snacks in a nutrient-dense Cruncher. Created for frustrated consumers craving nutrition, there is 11G of protein and only 140 calories per serving in each Crunchers bag.
The Comet4Earth features an upper part made of recycled plastic. Other features on this lace-up bootie include a “Wanderlust Wedge,” an extra soft knit cuff, rubber traction outsole, and decorative dented buttons for that Blowfish Malibu touch. The slight heel offers a touch of style that allows the shoe to be worn in practically any situation.
You will not find paraffin wax or fragrance oils in any of these candles. Made with wooden wicks and soy wax blended with rice bran oil and scented with pure, plant-based essential oils, this lovely candle captures the clarifying essence of the Pacific Northwest Rainforest. Featuring fir needle and cedarwood atlas essential oils, it makes users believe they are out in the wilderness. The glass jars can also be easily reused for a multitude of purposes.
Sea Witch Botanicals
Made from cotton and plant-based cellulose fibers, these 100% natural and compostable cloths are an established must-have for the spring cleaning months. They can hold 15x their weight in water, making them highly absorbent. Quick-drying, your customers will be amazed at how odor-free they are. They can be used in place of paper towels and plastic sponges.
Give your customers the gift of soft, luxurious skin in preparation for the hot spring and summer months. This body lotion is dermatologist tested and was crafted to achieve the right balance of hydration and feel. Eczema Honey Body Lotion goes on light, is not sticky, and provides moisture for the entire body. No phthalates, no harmful chemicals, and no unnecessary fragrances.
The Glasshouse Fragrances Flower Show 380g Limited Edition Triple Scented Soy Candle is made with natural lead-free cotton wicks and high quality non-toxic soy blend wax for a burn that is pure and intensely fragrant. It contains no parabens, silicones, or PEGs. This candle is part of the Floral Fragrance Family. Floral fragrances are classic and graceful, defined by fresh cut flowers, solifores (single floral notes) or bouquets with fruity highlights or powdery softness, perfect for the spring and summer months.
The Luna Bralette is one of the most luxurious bralettes in the JadyK collection, and their hottest seller. Featuring a front criss-cross design, it is the perfect accent to wear with spring and summer v-neck and low neckline tops. It also comes with adjustable straps, is super stretchy and comfortable, and is made from durable fabric.
Featuring shirring at the sides, this printed woven skirt has a double ruffled hemline and a back zipper closure. The bright, flowery design is sure to make any outfit pop.
This fashionable skirt is just what your customers need to feel stylish during the spring and summer months. Made with polyester and spandex, the material is very comfortable so wearers can have it on all day long.