3 Minute Read
2018 is officially over, and our customers have seen some of the best numbers ever. We also worked hard to keep things running smoothly for you. How did we do?
Indexing and Product Catalog Updating Stats
We know how important keeping your sites up-to-date is with the correction information (prices, stock status, new product, etc). We’ve made considerable investments to our data processing systems in 2018 in prep for the ‘18 holiday season. That engineering effort paid off handsomely.
Indexing Step 1: Data Acquisition
The first step in indexing is fetching the latest data from your ecommerce platform (Magento, Miva, Shopify, BigCommerce, etc) and other data providers like Google Analytics, Yotpo or PowerReviews via APIs or flat files.
- Most data acquisitions now take 15.2 min or less (75th percentile)
- The 50th percentile is 3.7 minutes and the 95th percentile is 85.5 min
Indexing Step 2: Data Indexing
During this step, we process the acquired data to optimize it for best search relevance and merchandised display.
- Most indexing operations now take 2.2 minutes or less (75th percentile)
- The 95th percentile is 8.7 minutes and the 50th percentile is 1.3 minutes
- We now have better support for scaling up our indexing capacity during peak times so wait times are kept short.
- It takes 3.1 seconds on average to publish merchandising changes across all of SearchSpring’s data centers
Black Friday & Cyber Week
Revenue & Traffic
In terms of traffic and gross revenue, this has been the biggest year our customers have ever seen! Congratulations to each and every one of them. A total of 38,881,158 sessions were recorded across all of our customer sites. Earning a grand total of $176,538,022 in the days between 11/23 and 11/26. That’s a total of $4.54 per visitor!
Site search conversion rates were higher than normal, averaging 10.18%, which no doubt helped drive these record revenue figures. Here’s a look at the total increases for all customers compared to last year:
- Traffic increase of 50%
- Black Friday revenue increase of 33%
Cyber week is incredibly exciting for all of us, but it’s also a time when a lot of us lose sleep. Will my site stay up? What happens if we’re too aggressive with free shipping options? Etc. All of that extra stress on our web hosting infrastructure and third-party integrations is a little bit scary for most of us.
Fortunately, everything went off without a hitch. Here’s a look at the numbers:
- Average response times = 125ms (50% of requests under 100ms)
- Average indexing wait time = 2 seconds
- 6,329 Feeds acquired (Cyber Weekend only)
- 312 hours of computing time actively acquiring updated product data
- 12,371 indexing jobs processed successfully (Cyber Weekend only)
- 276 hours of computing time to process all indexing updates (Cyber Weekend only)
We’ve worked very hard to ensure that SearchSpring continues to work as expected during the most critical days for our customers. This year looks to have been a monumental success in many ways. We look forward to seeing what else our customers are able to accomplish this year and next!